Gorilla Habituation Experience can only be done in Uganda, with gorilla habituation experience you will be accorded an opportunity to join the habituation team in Rushaga southern part of Bwindi Forest and spend 4 hours viewing the endangered Mountain Gorillas.
We will either pick you up from your hotel in Kigali or if your flight arrives in the morning from Kigali Airport and transfer you to Uganda’s Bwindi Forest – Rushaga section Luxury Gorilla Habituation Experience Safari in Rushaga. The drive time to Rushaga Bwindi from Kigali is about 4 hours plus depending on Border Crossing which is an event in itself.
Afternoon Optional activity: Community or Cultural Village Walk
Overnight Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge
Meal Plan: Lunch and dinner
Enjoy an early breakfast then drive to the park headquarters where you will meet up with your team of researchers, trackers and guides and head for the location of your gorilla family group being habituated and your four hours in their presence and learning their ways.
You need to carry your daypack with at least 3 liters of water and a packed lunch with you. You also need to wear long trousers, gardening gloves for pulling yourself up on branches, long-sleeved shirt, waterproof sturdy boots, hat, rain jacket, use a walking stick. You will also need to hire series of a porter to help you carry your day pack and also push you up when need arises.
The Gorilla Habituation differs from a normal gorilla trekking because you are not just an observer but become an active participant in the habituation process.
Gorilla habituation experience is meant to be an all day trek, not only do you see the Gorillas with only 4 participants (at times fewer), but you learn a lot about the Gorillas behaviors and ways from the Gorillas and the Researchers.
After meeting the gorillas you will then return to the trailhead and back to the lodge.
Overnight Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge
Meal Plan: Breakfast, Lunch and dinner
Breakfast, drive to Kigali Rwanda.
The activities on this day depend on your flight times from Kigali, Rwanda. We will fine tune it to fit you. On the return to Kigali, you gain one hour as you cross the border from the East African Time Zone to the Central one.
Drop off at airport 3 hours before your flight and this is the end of your 3 Day Luxury Gorilla Habituation Experience, if you need accommodation in Kigali on this day we can be happy to help arrange for you.
Optional activity – Mgahinga not included in Price
Mgahinga Gorilla Park is home to thousands of the endangered Golden Monkeys. The park provides the best setting for Golden Monkeys in the Virunga Volcanoes. The Golden Monkeys are quite beautiful and different from other primates due to their striking features. An adult Golden Monkey will weigh about 15 Kilos, meaning that they quite agile and will be all around you as you observe them on your trek.
The trek will be over by noon and as we cross the border into Rwanda we gain one hour since Rwanda is on Central African Time and is one hour ahead of Uganda.
Meal plan: Breakfast
End of Luxury Gorilla Habituation Experience
clouds mountain gorilla lodge
We use both standard 4×4 customized safari vans and 4×4 luxury customized safari Land cruisers with pop-up roofs for maximum game viewing, wildlife filming and photography and easy for taking as many photos as you can. Our Landcruisers are also fitted with charging system for your cameras, phones and also every client is guaranteed a window seat for easy view.
Our drive/guides are very professionally and well trained, we know every successful safari needs a great guide, majority of the comments from our clients regarding our services are centered on the professionalism of our guides.
Change of the itineraries:
The itinerary may change occasionally due to the availability of gorilla permits and accommodation.
Wi-Fi is available in most accommodations but sometimes it is limited due to weak signal points in some places.
Surcharge on Christmas festive season 24/12, 25/12, 26/12 , New Year Eve 31/12 and New Years 1/1
Policy for single and extra bed:
The third person using extra bed: Price as one adult
Policy for Children:
01 child under 4-year-old (sharing a bed with parents): Free of charge
• 01 child from 4 and under 9-year-old (sharing a bed with parents): 75% of the price per an adult
• 02 children under 4 years old (staying with parents): 75% of the price per an adult
• From 9-year-old: price as an adult.children below 15 years are not allowed to trek gorillas
- A deposit of 20% on the safari cost is required when booking a safari. If a safari includes gorilla tracking and chimpanzee tracking then the deposit should include the full cost of the gorilla permit fee (US$600) and chimpanzee permit fee (US$150) per pemit per person as well. The remaining balance must be paid 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged up on booking.
• Payment in cash: Cash shall be paid at our office or will be collected at your hotel.
• Credit card: credit card fee is applied to the total amount and different from type of card
• Bank transfer: Please note that the bank fee in Uganda, and the international bank for transmission are covered by the client.
What to bring:
- Trail shoes or running shoes with a good solid grip and good support and cotton socks are the most versatile and comfortable footwear for this trip. Some people prefer their well broken-in hiking boots
- A wide-brimmed or peaked hat for sun protection.
- Poncho or raincoat just in case, especially if gorilla trekking is on your itinerary
- Light sweater, jacket or sweatshirt for cooler evenings. It cools off quite drastically in the higher elevations
- Sunglasses, Sun cream
- Camera and film
- Free cancellation on safari cost up to 45 days prior departure. No refund applicable within 45 days of departure.
No refund of any kind on Gorilla and chimpanzee permits